3 Ways to Bio-Hack Your Sex Life
May 03, 2018
By now, we know that hormones affect our bodies in numerous ways from childhood to pregnancy, to menopause and beyond. But according to many studies, the biggest culprit for lower libido levels is stress, with higher levels of cortisol suppressing our sex hormones.
Now let’s crank up that Marvin Gaye and go back to school for a lesson on ~Sexual Healing~ (we’d be lying if we said we didn’t listen to a Spotify playlist called ‘Sexy Time’ as we wrote this..).
Everyone has that thing that gets them going. For some, a smell, a food or a beverage, aka “aphrodisiacs”. Some examples of aphrodisiacs include:
- SHATAVARI (for her): a potent, libido supporting adaptogen that is all around amazing for the female body. It’s so good at what it does that it is also known as “She With 100 Husbands”. This herb can be used during several stages in a female’s life so that you’re feeling #SexyAtAnyAge
- MACA (for him): another adaptogen loaded with zinc and good fats, essential in balancing sex hormones and improving overall mood. The better your mood the easier it is to get in THE mood and reach higher sexual satisfaction. Yes plz.
- CACAO: the purest and most raw form of chocolate. Ditch the sugary, processed chocolate bars and go raw. Cacao contains the love chemical scientifically known as phenylethylamine, which releases dopamine during sex. It is also a natural mood and energy booster and happily found in Cheer Me Up 1 and Cheer Me Up 2.
- GARLIC: a garlic a day keeps the vampires away AND activates the release of nitric oxide which boosts blood flow to your nether regions and makes the nerve endings in your sex organs more sensitive. The more blood that rushes, the more nerve endings stimulated and the better the OHH.
- WARMING SPICES: think ginger, nutmeg and cardamom, which heat up your body to increase natural sex drive. They also fight fatigue by helping to regulate blood sugar.
2. Better Gut Health
Serotonin, a neurotransmitter, regulates many functions of the body including...ding ding ding, sex drive! Did you know serotonin is produced in the gut? MIND BLOWN. Having a healthy gut also guts down on digestive issues like bloating and gas. For more on a healthy gut, check out this post.
3. That Eight Cups A Day Thing
Do headaches, irritability and vaginal dryness get you going? Didn’t think so. Staying hydrated helps get oxygen to your organs to help them function. If you have trouble getting in your 8 cups a day, check out our Hydration Essentials.
Sex should not be taboo and is apart of the human evolution. Plus, we all want to feel sexy all day, every day.
Not sure where to find some of these things? Thank the lawd we're stocking our shelves with all this herbal goodness at The Apothekary launching in just a few weeks!