As the days get colder and shorter, cold & flu season gets closer! You don't want to be slowed down by a pesky cold or even worse, curled up in bed with a heavy head, swollen eyes and brain fog. Not to worry, because Mother Nature and JRINK have got you covered!
Here at JRINK we embrace natural ways to help your immune system stay healthy and strong so you don't miss a beet.
- Got sunlight? Vitamin D can help fight against the flu. It's a component of a healthy immune system, so if you have a deficiency, your immune system is compromised and your body becomes open to all kinds of winter woes. It's harder to get your dose of sunlight, so you may want to look to a supplement for extra D intake.
- Catch your Zs. A good diet and sleep habits are essential to a healthy body and mind (and glowing skin, yes please). But did you know that too much sugar and not enough sleep can reduce the function of your immune system? Try to avoid high-fructose food products and processed foods and sugars. And remember that it's harder to fight the flu if you start the day tired and fatigued.
- Find your Zen. Focus on reducing your level of stress. When overwhelmed, your body and mind are less effective in fighting off the flu. Although it’s not always easy to do, consider instituting some regular stress-alleviating habits into your weekly schedule. Attend a yoga class, or consider starting meditation or mindfulness training.
- On the Move. Exercise, keep moving, and then exercise and keep moving some more! Exercise increases circulation and blood flow throughout the body, which in turn helps your immune system locate and fight off viruses and bacteria in your body. And while you're exercising and moving, make sure to drink plenty of fluids, especially water and our healthy JRINKs! One caveat: If you do get sick, pull back on your exercise routine and get plenty of rest!
- ARGH, here we go again: Reduce the spread of germs by washing your hands regularly and covering your mouth when you sneeze or cough. We are pretty well trained in this after, e-hem, what we've been through!
Many JRINKs contain nutrients and hydration needed to help build a healthy immune system and keep it strong. Not sure where to begin? Here are some of our faves for the Fall and Winter:
Detox shot or Pyro Shot. Properties in turmeric and ginger are known to be anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and help boost immunity. The Pyro Shot is stronger and super spicy, the Detox Shot goes down easier and is a great preventative supplement.
Ginger Lemon-aid, Gold Rush. Both have healthy doses of ginger, a natural and potent anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial aid. An apple a day keeps the doctor away, so Gold Rush, which has a few apples with ginger, turmeric and lemon should def do the trick. Pro-tip: both of these are ah-may-zing heated up! Just don't boil it so you don't kill the good stuff. And add a little honey for extra yum and natural flu-fighting punch.
Pom Lemon-aid, Pom Shot. You cannot deny the power of Pomegranate! Recent studies are concluding just how effective this raw, cold pressed fresh juice is in fighting colds, flu, and yes, even the dreaded C-19, that shall not be named! Check out our previous JRINK Think post on the Power of Pomegranate here.
Consider working these JRINK selections into your daily wellness plan to stay healthy and active this Fall and Winter!